Program Leads – Summer Camp (up to 6 positions)
|Assignment:||Up to 10 weeks, full-time summer student|
|Start Date:||No sooner than June 18, 2018|
|End Date:||No later than August 24, 2018|
Precious Minds is a charitable organization in north Durham Region that supports individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. We offer programs to develop skills for life and by facilitating holistic family support. For over 17 years, we have committed to CARE, SUPPORT and bringing HOPE to families while eliminating barriers such as costly fees, travelling long distances to access services, and lack of programs.
Reporting to the Family Support Coordinator and supported by the Executive Leadership Team and the Senior Program Leaders – Summer Camp, the Program Leads – Summer Camp will contribute to achieving the documented goals for a series of one-week day camps for children, youth, and adults. Camp staff ensure each day’s schedule incorporates planned activities that support camper needs in the areas of social skill development, sport and recreational elements, arts, music, and cooperative play while building skills to promote greater independence. Our priorities are safety, inclusion, physical activity, skill-building, and FUN.
- Full attendance and participation in pre-camp training and camp staff meetings
- Ensure the safety, care, and support of program participants with developmental challenges – as it relates to activities of camp including appropriate assistance with personal hygiene as required.
- Program planning (daily schedule, activities, target skills and supporting strategies), ensuring program adaptations for participants of all abilities
- Completion of daily camper communication log for parents/caregivers
- Assist with daily set-up and cleanup of all program areas
- Lead in daily camp activities as required
- Establish rapport and maintain effective relationships with participants, staff, volunteers, and community partners
- Foster a work environment that values and encourages teamwork and empowerment
Required Skills, Knowledge & Qualities:
- A passion for working with individuals with special needs
- High-energy and self-direction
- Excellent people skills with a friendly, responsible, service-oriented attitude
- Teamwork and problem-solving abilities; respect for authority
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products
- Preparedness to engage in rigorous physical activity, including moving furniture and equipment, leading campers in physical activities and attending to the physical/hygiene needs of campers
- 1+ year(s) of experience in similar capacity of responsibility
- University or college program in a related field (such as Education, Behavioural Sciences, Developmental Disabilities, Personal Support Worker, Recreational Therapy, Health Studies, etc.)
- Knowledge of accessibility and accommodation issues an asset
- First Aid Certification
- CRI (Criminal Information Request – current within 1 year)
- Crisis Intervention Training (or related training and certification)
- Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities
Deadline to Apply: March 15, 2018
For immediate and confidential consideration, please email your letter of interest and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org citing Program Leads – Summer Camp in the subject line.
Precious Minds is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The availability of this position may be contingent upon receiving funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program and the following student eligibility requirements:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Legally entitled to work in Canada